Regional, Provincial and National Organisations
Lots of great information and resources for when you want to hit the trail beyond the City limits.
- Kawartha Trans Canada Trail
- The Kawartha Trans Canada Trail Association (KTCTA) is a volunteer not-for-profit charitable organization. The KTCTA mandate is the development, operation and promotion of the Trans Canada Trail in the City of Kawartha Lakes. immediately West of Peterborough County at Fowlers Corners.
- Peterborough-Hastings Trans Canada Trail Association
- The Peterborough-Hastings Trans Canada Trail Association has developed and will manage the Lang Hastings Trail which connects Peterborough to the village of Hastings.
- Millbrook Valley Trails
- The Millbrook Valley Trails are a passive use walking trail starting from Medd’s Mountain Conservation Area and looping around Millbrook through the Oak Ridges Moraine. The Millbrook Valley Trails are overseen by the Township of Cavan Monaghan through the Millbrook Valley Trails Steering Committee. They also run a supporters facebook page.
- The Ganaraska Hiking Trail Association
- The Ganaraska Hiking Trail runs for 500 kilometres from Port Hope on Lake Ontario to the Bruce Trail near Collingwood, with side trails to Wasaga Beach and Midland. Nine member clubs make up the Ganaraska Hiking Trail Association which maintains the trail. The Association is run by a Board of Volunteers drawn from the member clubs. Each club runs scheduled recreational hiking programmes in their local area.
- The Trans Canada Trail
- The Trans Canada Trail is a non-profit, registered charity that promotes and assists in the development and use of the Trail in every province and territory. They also provide funding to local trail builders to support the development of trails (including trails in and around Peterborough). Today, more than 16,800 kilometres of trail have been developed. When completed, the Trail will stretch 23,000 kilometres from the Atlantic to the Pacific to the Arctic Oceans, linking 1,000 communities and all Canadians. See their facebook page and their Twitter feed.
- The Ontario Trails Council
- The Ontario Trails Council (OTC) is a charity that promotes the development, preservation, management and use of recreational trails in Ontario. Established in 1988, it started as a coalition of trail user groups such as hikers, cyclists, snowmobilers and equestrians who shared an interest in trails and in the conservation of abandoned rail lines for use as trails. See their facebook page and their Twitter feed.